Join Our Team!
About Cold Tea Collective
Cold Tea Collective is a media platform to share stories, news, and perspectives of the young North American Asian diaspora. We are passionate about providing Asian millennials with a platform to better understand and connect with themselves and the world around them. We tell it from the heart, dig deeper for the truth, and strive to create the best quality content and conversation. Cold Tea Collective is a place for us, by us.
About the Role
We are looking for a volunteer staff writer to develop and create original, timely, and relevant posts for Cold Tea Collective. This role works with a team of ambitious and talented writers and editors. The ideal candidate will have experience writing articles and generating topic ideas, a passion to connect with Asian millennials, and a desire to tell stories that matter. This role is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to strengthen their writing, editing, and interview skills while growing with a driven editorial team of storytellers.
Responsibilities and Opportunities
- Write original articles about a variety of topics with a strong editorial voice
- Generate, research, and pitch story ideas
- Meet writing deadlines as assigned by editors
- Liaise with and interview individuals or groups for stories
- Provide copy content for social media, as needed
- Proofread articles for grammar, style, and quality
- Assist in selecting photos, writing headlines, and packaging stories
- Upload and schedule articles in a timely manner to WordPress
- Participate in content-related meetings, as needed
- Actively participate in our team Slack to ensure timely communication and production
- Time commitment is 5 hours per week (minus potential meetings) with an expectation of 2 to 3 articles per month
- Opportunities to:
- learn writing, editing and/or interview skills through internal trainings and discussions; and
- potentially (and optionally) participate in sponsored projects with compensations
- Previous storytelling, writing and content creation experience required
- Previous journalism and/or editing experience an asset
- An interest in Asian-related issues and stories
- Strong understanding of social media trends, current events, and pop culture
- Knowledge of WordPress and Google Docs
- Professionalism and tact in receiving feedback and guidance from our editors
How To Apply
Please email resume and 2 writing samples to [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you!
We’re not afraid to stay true to who we are and to tell it like we want to. We strive for the best quality in our creation of content and conversation. We never take things for face value; we always dig deeper.