Join Our Team!
About Cold Tea Collective
Cold Tea Collective is a media platform to share stories, news, and perspectives of North American Asian millennials (ages 25-34). We are passionate about providing Asian millennials with a platform to better understand and connect with themselves and the world around them. We tell it from the heart, dig deeper for the truth, and strive to create the best quality content and conversation. Cold Tea Collective is a place for us, by us.
About the Role
We are looking for a volunteer staff editor to develop, edit, and publish posts on Cold Tea Collective. These articles are written by new and seasoned writers and columnists, with a wide range of topics related to North American Asian Millennials. The ideal candidate will have experience generating topic ideas, editing and proofreading copy, and a passion to connect with Asian millennials. This role works with an ambitious and talented editorial team — and is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to strengthen their editing, storytelling, digital, and leadership skills while growing with a driven team of storytellers.
Responsibilities and Opportunities
- Edit and / or revise original articles during development process, ensuring proper grammar, quality, and style (according to Cold Tea Collective’s style guide)
- Generate and assign story ideas
- Assign writing deadlines
- Write headlines and photo captions, as needed
- Review, proofread, and approve final stories and images before uploading to WordPress, prior to publishing
- Provide copy content for social media, as needed
- Collaborate with writers, Editor-In-Chief, and Social Media Coordinator during article development process
- Actively participate in our team Slack to ensure timely communication and production
- Participate in monthly meetings on overall content strategy
- Recruit and onboard new writers, if required
- Time commitment is 5 to 8 hours per week with an expectation of editing 4 to 6 articles per month
- Opportunities to:
- learn writing, editing and/or interview skills through internal trainings and discussions; and
- potentially (and optionally) participate in sponsored projects with compensations
- Previous storytelling, writing and editing experience is required
- Previous journalism experience an asset
- An interest in Asian-related issues and stories
- Strong understanding of social media trends, current events, and pop culture
- Knowledge of WordPress and Google Docs
- Familiarity with Slack and Asana an asset
- Professionalism and tact in providing feedback and guidance for our contributors
How to Apply
Please email resume and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
We’re not afraid to stay true to who we are and to tell it like we want to. We strive for the best quality in our creation of content and conversation. We never take things for face value; we always dig deeper.